Career Services department plans events for Career Development Month
Posted by Briana Deckard on October 24, 2012
In celebration of Career Development Month in November, the Career Services department has several events planned to help students prepare for the process of securing jobs and internships.
â€śNovember might seem early to start looking for jobs and internships, but many businesses, including Fortune 500 companies, begin recruiting individuals now for jobs that will begin in spring and fall of 2013,â€ť said Judie Caribeaux, Director of Career Services. â€śPersonnel costs are the largest expense for any organization. As a result, companies plan far in advance. It is important for students to know that companies line up their talent now.”
Various Career Development Month activities and discussions will provide students with valuable information and resources about how to dress, speak, promote oneself and ultimately land the job that they want.
November events include:
- Get Prepared Using Optimal Resume – Thursday, November 1, 5:00-6:00 p.m. â€“ Dunham Hall, Room 102
This workshop will train students on how to use Optimal Resume, the online career center for creating resumes and cover letters, and developing interviewing skills.
- Create Your Own Business Card Workshop â€“ Tuesday, November 6, 4:00-5:00 p.m. â€“ Dunham Hall, Room 101
Up to 30 students will learn how to make a first-rate business card and take home a stack of the finished product. RSVP to Kat Murphy, Residence Hall Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday November 2. This event is first-come, first-served.
- Successful Spartans Panel Discussion: Advice for the Class of 2013 from the Class of 2012 – Tuesday, November 13, 6:00 p.m. â€“ Dunham Hall Atrium
Recent Graduates will give advice and answer questions about starting life in the graduate/professional world. RSVP to Kat Murphy, Residence Hall Director, at email@example.com by Tuesday, November 6.
- Walk-in Resume Review â€“ November 29, noon-4:00 p.m. â€“ Phillips Library.
Career counselors will meet with students one-on-one to critique their resume during these walk-in meetings. Students must bring their resume with them to be reviewed.
- Dress For Success Days – Every Tuesday
Students spotted in professional clothing will be rewarded with a prize!